Polis Project Weekly Updates (01/13 to 01/19)
We wanted to provide a short update regarding the events of last week :
The team has identified two malicious blocks on the network, that may have been accepted and replicated through the use of bootstraps.
As of Thursday the team has been working full time to investigate the issue, monitor our chain, and look for potential solutions for the problem.
At this point in time, we can say that no further attempts have been done to harm the chain since. We are aware of the patches our fellow affected projects have applied to their chains, and we can say Polis does not share the same vulnerability.
After investigating the attack, we have no reason to believe our consensus algorithm has been compromised, still we are taking safety measures, and the DAO has come to the following conclusions :
* There will be a Polis Core version 1.6.9 that fixes sync issues so that bootstraps are no longer needed.
* The consensus rules will be updated to add an extra validation.
* The team will start the implementation of a new difficulty algorithm that will make it harder to perform stake grinding in our chain.
* These changes will materialize in either a single update or a couple, we will try to keep the amount of updates low, but given the nature of this problem, if we have to release more because of development and security constraints, we will.
Please remember exchanges will remain closed until the version fixing sync issues is released and made publicly available.
The team is currently not disclosing specifics on the attack in order to prevent further exploitation, but all information regarding this topic will be made publicly available as soon as the chain is equipped with the tools to prevent it from ever happening again. We thank you for your trust and patience.
Our developers are getting things ready to integrate Olympus into the PolisPay App.
Update V8.8.0 is out now!
Here is what you can expect:
- Improvements for Shift & Gift Cards.
- Faster app on startup and overall navigation.
- Bug Fixes.
Download it here:
You know there’s always room for change, that is why we continue to evolve here as well.
So, we wanted to remind you:
Community Management and Outreach.
We have been receiving many questions and comments directed to our managers!
It has been exciting to see the participation from our community, that is why we want to provide a way for you to access them directly and specifically, depending the department you wish to approach.
DAO Technology Manager.
Luis Correa — [email protected]
DAO Adoption Manager.
Frank Servedio — [email protected]
DAO Community Manager.
Ricardo Bustos — [email protected]
DAO Business Manager.
Andreas Meyer — [email protected]
From everyone in our team we would like to sincerely thank you for your constant support.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.